One of the oldest churches in Rhodes, dating back to the 11th century AD is located at the eastern end of the Knights Road, in Kollakio. The panagia tou kastrou church was a Byzantine Church originally built during that time. However, it was also reconstructed during the Chivalric period with coats of arms on display for Grand Master Helion de Villeneuve and Pope John XXII. The panagia tou kastrou church has been converted into a mosque and then restored again after 1522 as evidenced by inscriptions on one wall.
The "Lady of the Castle" church is located at the eastern end of the "knights road" in the Old Town. The decoration of the inside has been lost, beyond a few sparse remnants of wall paintings.The best preserved among them is the figure of St. Lucia dated to the 14th century. It is assumed the work of a European painter, probably of the Giotto School.
When the Ottoman Empire came into power in this region, they decided to convert the building into a mosque and added additions. When Italy took over, they re-converted it back into a Christian temple with great care and consideration to show off their new power.