Information about Old Town Rhodes
If you're looking for a day full of adventure, culture and history, then the Old Town of Rhodes is the perfect destination. With winding cobblestone streets lined with old European architecture and beautiful churches on each corner, it's hard to imagine a better place to explore.
Ways to Enter the Old Town
You can enter from any of the gates and start exploring this living monument. We suggest you save at least two days from your stay, so you will have the time to discover more than the basics of this wonder! When you go in the Old Town, have in mind that you can find the Official Information Centrer at Great Alexander Square & Street of The Knights, open every day from 09:00 to 21:00 and Saturdays from 09:00 to 15:40.
You can also call them at 2241074313.
Free Resources of Old Town
An official map of the Old Town provided by the Municipality of Rhodes could be found here.
An official leaflet for the accesibility of the town provided by the Municipality of Rhodes could be found here.
Information about αccessible tourism in Old Town Rhodes
When you visit Rhodes, not only are you taken back in time through the archaeology that is strewn throughout this island, but also by being able to see how modern life and architecture has been built around these ancient monuments. It's a journey from antiquity into today with every step! But this mentioned step must be accessible to all!
At Rhodes Old Town you could find the below list of accessible sights.
- Church of Agios Panteleimonas: Interior is accessible, steps at entrance
- Museum of Modern Greek Art: Step at entrance, gravel road
- Church of Agioi Apostoloi complex (14th-15th century) and old poorhouse (imaret) (18th-20th century): Step at entrance, gravel road
- Three windmills: Visible from the road
- Rhodes Archaeological Museum: Entrance with 2 wide steps, pebble and dirt floor, toilets are not accessible, gravel road
- Municipal Clinic: Accessible
- The Folklore Museum and Armoury: Interior is accessible, step at entrance, gravel road
- The ruins of St John’s Church in the collachium (Muslim school): Interior is accessible, step at entrance
- 4th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities of Agia Paraskevi (15th century): Interior is accessible, step at entrance, gravel road
- Spanish inn: Interior is accessible, step at entrance, gravel road
- English inn: Interior is accessible, step at entrance
- Castellania - Public Library: Interior is accessible, steps at entrance, paving stones with joints
- “Melina Merkouri” Medieval Moat Theatre: Dirt road all along entry, grass on either side
- Grand Master’s Palace
There is also a guide made from Accesible-Rhodes.com featuring the accessible places all over the island. You can find it here.
Old Town Rhodes Tours and Excursions
There are plenty of choices to fit every budget and taste. From professional guides and "history freaks" to wine experts and "treasure hunters", Old Town of Rhodes is a perfect place for such activities, especially when you are on holiday.
Below is a brief list of things to do in the Old Town curated by the taste of our expert-in tourism content creators. We present you with the top 3 activities in the Old Town.
1st Value for Money activity in Old Town
Segway Tour in Rhodes Old City
Segway Tours are among the best ways to explore your favourite travel destinations. A Segway experience can combine the best of sightseeing, an adventure unlike any other while also letting you interact with fellow travelers and locals. Exciting way of exploring a destination. No previous experience necessary. Segway is an easy, safe and fun activity for everyone. After a short warm-up and introduction to Segway your guide will lead you along the Old city narrow streets where you will discover "secret spots" that you would never find on foot.
Read more about Segway Tour in Rhodes Old City 2021
2nd Best Experience of the Old Town
Rhodes Old Town Walking Tour (Small Group)
On this walking tour you are going to see the main highlights of the Old City: Jewish Quarter, Ippokratous Square, famous Street of the Knights, Grand Master Palace, Archeological Museum and Fortifications of the Palace.
Read more about Rhodes Old Town Walking Tour (Small Group) 2021
3rd Mixed up Excursion in Old Town
Wine and Medieval History in Rhodes
Magnificent medieval monuments, a beautifully preserved old town, and a private wine tasting. This exclusive half-day tour is perfect for wine lovers and history buffs who want to immerse themselves in the medieval history of Rhodes and discover why modern Greek wines are becoming so popular.